The best form of heating: Underfloor
There are two main benefits of installing hydronic underfloor heating and cooling pipes on insulated base panels covered by a thin cement screed:
- It is much more responsive and you will begin to feel the effect of the heat through the underfloor coils in about 15 minutes.
- It significantly reduces heat loss through the bottom and sides of the slab, which can be as much as 40% of the heat load if the soil underneath is wet.
Other benefits include:
- Greater effectiveness at transferring heat through a cement screed with up to 100 watts per m2 of heat output compared to heat transfer of around 70 watts per m2 for in-slab coils and hardwood timber floors.
- Operation at lower temperatures which makes it easier and hence more viable for heat pumps to be used as the main heat source.
The most cost effective form of cooling multiple rooms: Ducted Air Conditioning
Ducted air conditioning allows you to have excellent control over your heating / cooling system and even air distribution through all rooms.
Some of the major benefits of ducted air conditioning are:
- Control: Central temperature setting with minor room zone controls.
- Even air distribution: Every room has even heating / cooling.
- Value: For multiple rooms, it is cheaper to install ducted air conditioning than wall hung split systems.
- Aesthetics: The only intrusion to the room is a flush mounted vent that blends with the ceiling.
Ideal for two storey builds: Ducted Air Conditioning + Underfloor
The benefit of ducted cooling on the upper 1st floor is that cooling and dehumidification is applied directly to where the heat builds up most and the cool air will fall down to the ground floor making the job of cooling there easier. Also, air flow helps in cooling mode to make us feel several degrees cooler when air flows across our skin.
A heat pump operating in reverse cycle on the ground floor circulating water at around 18 degrees, which is a comfortable temperature underfoot and well above the dew point (temperature at which water will begin to condense from air, typically around 10 degrees depending on humidity). This will assist cooling on very hot days and can be further enhanced by using fans to make the air flow across the cool floor absorbing heat and across our skin making us feel cooler.
The benefit of underfloor hydronic heating on the lower floors is that it is the most effective and comfortable form of heating by radiating heat under your feet rather than blowing it through a duct. The ground floor is also usually where the living rooms and kitchen are located so these are the rooms where you should invest a little more because it is where you spend most of your living hours inside.
This radiant heat will rise up to the first floor. Reverse cycle heating in winter through the ducting on the first floor can be used to augment the heat rising up from the hydronic system on the ground floor.
OPTIMAL, COST-EFFECTIVE HEATING / COOLING SOLUTION FOR LARGE HOMES:
The combination of hydronic heating on the ground floor and air conditioning on the first floor provides an optimal, cost-effective heating and cooling solution for large homes with many rooms that exploits the benefits of both systems, delivers maximum heating comfort in the living rooms, addresses humidity in summer, provides even heating and cooling to all rooms and works in harmony with each system.
FEATURED HEATING / COOLING SYSTEM
For two storey homes (recommended)
LG Air Conditioning B55AWY-7G5
Ducted System - High Static 14.2kW (Cooling) / 17.1kW (Heating):
- Pressure Control: New LG inverter senses refrigerant and temperature simultaneously for faster response to load variation
- Reduced noise level
- E.S.P technology. This enables you to optimise duct work installation, by maintaining airflow and sound levels as required.
- Single phase power
STIEBEL ELTRON WPL25ACS
Hydronics System - 14.0kW (Heating) / 17.1kW (Cooling)
- Delivers up to 65°C water temperature.
- Globally leading heat pump
- Exceptionally efficient even at temperatures below freezing point.
- It also has exceptional high temperature capability for a cost effective Monoblock heat pump enabling it to be used for both underfloor hydronic heating and cooling, as well as radiator hydronic heating.
- Single phase power.